Thu, 25 Jan 2007

APEv2 tags on mp3 files

I don't know why or how these got attached to some files in my music collection but it's been a problem thats been bugging me for some time. I use SlimServer for music listening and a few mp3s were not showing the proper tags even though I've triple checked the id3v2 tags. I ended up looking into the file itself and noticed right at the end of the file the tag information I had been trying to remove with the header APETAGEXÐ and with a little searching found that its an APEv2 tag attached to the file. I did some searching for a program to remove it but I couldn't find anything non-windows, however there is a library in python that can work with them called Mutagen. So I ended up scripting up a little program to rid of the tag and now the files index properly.

If anyone else is running into this problem you can install the python-mutagen package (in debian) and then use the following simple python script apetag-remove.

posted at: 15:14 | path: /general | permanent link to this entry


2019-Jun
2019-May
2018-Dec
2018-Jan
2017-Aug
2017-Jun
2017-May
2016-Nov
2015-Dec
2015-Nov
2015-Oct
2015-Jul
2015-Jun
2014-Dec
2012-Oct
2012-Sep
2012-Jun
2012-Feb
2012-Jan
2011-Dec
2011-Sep
2011-Aug
2011-May
2011-Feb
2010-Jun
2010-Apr
2010-Jan
2009-Sep
2009-Jul
2009-May
2009-Jan
2008-Oct
2008-Sep
2008-Jun
2008-May
2008-Jan
2007-Nov
2007-Oct
2007-Aug
2007-Jun
2007-May
2007-Mar
2007-Feb
2007-Jan
2006-Nov
2006-Oct
2006-Sep
2006-Aug
2006-Jun
2006-Apr
2006-Jan
2005-Dec
2005-Nov
2005-Oct
2005-Sep
2005-Aug
2005-Jul
2005-Jun
2005-May
2005-Apr
2005-Mar
2005-Feb
2005-Jan
2004-Dec
2004-Nov
2004-Oct
2004-Sep
2004-Aug
2004-Jul
2004-Jun
2004-May

Powered by PyBlosxom | RSS 2.0