We've been using a magicjack go device for the past couple of years, and it's worked quite well. It's a small device that is powered via usb, plugs into your LAN, and then you plug your regular old landline phone into it and it provides your phone service. Recently the device seems to have stopped working, and after wasting a bunch of time with the online chat tech support to indeed confirm that the device is dead, I decided to tear it apart just to see. Getting the device open was not easy, it seems to be glued together (no screws), and I ended up just cutting along the blue line with an exacto knife until it broke open. After getting it open I noticed it has two pads for tx/rx on the PCB and hooking them up to an oscilloscope it looked like it was transmitting some data. So I hooked up my buspirate to it and was able to read the following data (at 38400 baud I think):
2nd eCOS MZ decompression MZ decompression error trap spi:000000EF ,00000016 err header: FFFFFFFF
I'm not entirely sure what that is telling me, but it looks like it's probably having some trouble loading the firmware on the microcontroller and that explains why the device is dead (the blue power light comes on, but it won't connect via the lan port, and plugged into a computer it doesn't show up as a usb device at all).
Anyways, the warranty only covers one year on these little devices, so I can either buy a new one ($30 USD), or for the time being I might just use the android app as that seems to work well enough.
Powered by PyBlosxom | RSS 2.0